Scones, a classic served with jam and butter, perfect as tea time treats!
Have you tried using chopped glace cherries, dried apricot or other dried fruits for something different?
For savoury scone, just replace sugar and dried fruits with some mixed herbs and chopped olives.
- 200 pk (8oz) Juvela Low Protein Mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 50 g (2oz) soft margarine
- 50 g (2oz) caster sugar
- 50 g (2oz) sultanas (you can try using other dried fruits)
- 100 ml (4fl oz) water
- Preheat oven at 190ºC/370º/Gas Mark 5.
- Place the Juvela Low Protein Mix, baking powder and caster sugar into a large bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sultanas and add enough water until the mixture pulls together to make a soft but not sticky dough.
- Sprinkle a little low protein mix onto the work surface and roll out the dough until it is approximately 2.5 cm (1 inch) thick. Cut out the scones using a fluted cutter.
- Place the scones onto a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10 – 15 minutes until well risen and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool before serving with butter and jam.
Juvela cooking tips: Replace sugar with some mixed herbs and sultanas with chopped olives to make savoury scones.