Rich Fruit Cake
This delicious rich fruit cake means you needn't miss out on your favourite treats over the celebration, festive period even just with your cup of tea. This recipe is very easy to make and you wont be disappointed with it!
- 400 g (16oz) Juvela Low Protein Mix
- 300 g (12oz) mixed dried fruit
- 75 g (3oz) glace cherries (chopped)
- 150 g (6oz) soft margarine
- 150 g (6oz) dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp ground mixed spice
- 400 ml water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ready-to-roll icing
- 1 tbsp apricot jam (warmed)
- Preheat the oven at 180⁰C / 350⁰F/ Gas Mark 4
- Place the fruit, margarine, sugar, spice and water in a large pan, and bring to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool (for up to 3 hours).
- In a large bowl combine the Juvela Mix and baking powder, pour in the cooled mixture and beat well, until thoroughly combined
- Transfer the cake mixture to a greased and lined 20cm (8inch) round cake tin and bake in a preheated oven for approximately 1 hour 20 minutes, until firm to the touch. If you insert a skewer in the centre of the cake, it should be clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 1 hour before transferring to a cooling rack.
Warm the apricot jam in the microwave. Brush the cake all over with the warmed jam and cover the cake with ready to roll icing around the cake.