Caramelised Onion and Cranberry Tarts
The slow cooking of red onions and balsamic vinegar gives a lovely sweet, concentrated caramel consistency. These are then spooned into pastry cases filled with cranberry and onion chutney and ready in 15 minutes. Making it brilliant for light lunch or dinner!
- 100 g (4oz) Juvela Low Protein Mix
- 25 g (1oz) hard margarine
- 25 g (1oz) lard
- cold water to mix (add in gradually)
- 1 large red onion (peeled and sliced)
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp cranberry and onion chutney OR cranberry sauce* (refer to NSPKU dietary for suitable brand)
Making the pastry:
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/ 350˚F/ Gas Mark 4.
- Place the Juvela Low Protein Mix in a large bowl, cut the margarine and lard into small pieces and rub into the Mix until the texture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sufficient water to give a firm manageable dough.
- Roll out the dough on a surface lightly dusted with Juvela Mix and the pastry is now ready to line 2 x 11cm (4½”) tartlet tin
Caramlise the red onions:
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the sliced red onion and cook for approx 15 minutes until well browned. Add the sugar, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Spread 2 tbsp of the chutney/cranberry sauce over the base of each pastry and place spoonfuls of the caramlised red onions on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes until the pastry is slightly browned and cooked.