Roasted Stuffed Aubergines
This dish is perfect as a stand-alone meal served with salad and homemade sundried tomato bread or rosemary flatbread.
- 1 Juvela Bread Roll/ Sliced Loaf (make into breadcrumbs)
- 1 large aubergine
- 200 g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 50 g (2oz) mushroom
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1⁄2 tbsp parsley (chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ 400 ºF/ Gas Mark 6
2. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, prick the aubergine with a fork several times and add to a saucepan and boil for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Cut the aubergine in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh leaving a ½ inch border around the edge, cut up the flesh.
4. Heat a tbsp of oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and onion and gently cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and aubergine flesh and cook for a further 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomatoes, chilli powder and tomato puree. Stir in half the breadcrumbs and parsley and season to taste.
6. Spoon the mixture into the aubergine halves and place in a shallow ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining breadcrumbs and drizzle over with olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until golden brown.