Stuffed Red Pepper Parcels
- 100 g (4oz) Juvela Low Protein Mix
- 25 g (1oz) hard margarine
- 25 g (1oz) lard
- cold water to mix (add in gradually)
- 1 large red pepper (halved and de-seeded)
- 200 g (8oz) can chopped tomatoes (drained)
- 100 g (4oz) mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 1 asparagus spears* (refer to NSPKU dietary information for portion advice)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 Juvela Low Protein Rolls/Sliced Loaf (made into breadcrumbs)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 190˚C/ 375˚F/ Gas Mark 5.
- Place the Juvela Low Protein Mix in a large bowl, cut the margarine and lard into small pieces and rub into the Mix until the texture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sufficient water to give a firm manageable dough.
- Roll out the dough on a surface lightly dusted with Juvela Mix and cut into 2 large squares big enough to fold around the base and sides of the peppers.
- Place halved pepper, cut side down, on the work top and carefully place a square of pastry over it. Gently ease the pastry over the pepper to form a border around the sides. Turn the pepper ‘tart’ over and wrap the pastry around the edge of the pepper. Place on a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining pastry and pepper half.
- Mix the tomatoes, garlic and chopped parsley together and place a large spoonful in the base of each pepper.
- Mix the mushrooms and asparagus together and place on top of the tomatoes. Drizzle over a little olive oil and lightly brush over the sides of the pastry.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until pastry is tinged brown and the peppers are cooked.
- Meanwhile mix the remaining oil with the breadcrumbs and cook in a heavy based saucepan until golden and crunchy.
- Remove the pepper from the oven and sprinkle over the breadcrumbs.